Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Apollo 13


 PART ONE:

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM. There really was no reason for me starting this blog post off like that but I just couldn't resist the temptation.  Apollo 13 is a Hollywood drama that takes the viewer through the events that occurred during  the Apollo 13 lunar mission.  I loved this movie for a countless amount of reasons. To begin, every film that we have watched has been a historical film- hence the class being called "history through film."  However, I feel as though most of the films we have watched have been glamorized by hollywood and in turn have lost their sense of authenticity.  This movie was fantastic because because it was authentic.  I really felt like this film did a great job at taking you back to the time period.  Everything from the outfits, to the way it was filmed, to the editing. It really captured the essence of the early 70s aesthetically.  I also feel as though it captured the political aura of this time period in an extremely realistic manner.  I don't think that this film was over-dramatized.  It really felt as though you were watching the space mission as it was happening.  This movie taught me about the reality of space travel.  Honestly, I was and still am extremely ignorant on the topic but this movie taught me that it isn't even close to being as easy as I always imagined it to be.

PART TWO:

If I were to attach a theme to this movie I would say that this movie is a political adventure about hope and perseverance.  A political adventure because it highlights one of the most important things that was happening in the country at the time.  Hope, because without hope, the three men on the space shuttle could have given up far before they should have.  Perseverance because hope can only take you so far, and this movie shows that intelligence and continuos hard work are key factors.  Never giving up is a key factor.  


No comments:

Post a Comment